June 7, 2011

Mutton Roast



This is my 23rd recipe and I'm wondering why I didn't post any mutton recipes so far. So, here I'm with a traditional kerala style mutton roast. Other mutton dishes I like are mutton fry and mutton stew that my father makes. There is something very special in the way he cooks,  as I couldn't recreate the same taste even after following his exact recipe...A dad's special touch, may be...

Coming back to my mutton roast, here is the recipe...

Ingredients:

For stage 1, cooking the mutton
Mutton - 1/2 kg, cut into small pieces
Onion - 2, chopped
Tomato - 1 big
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Salt

For stage 2, roasting
Oil - If you like coconut oil, I would recommend that
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Curry leaves - a sprig
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp (Check cooking tips for the recipe)
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp or more

Preparation:

1. Mix all the ingredients listed under stage 1 in a pressure cooker and cook till the mutton is done.    The number of whistles vary with the tenderness of the meat. I did not add any water to cook, but if you feel that it would stick to the bottom of the cooker, you may add just 1-2 tbsp of water.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter fennel seeds. Fry the onion till they are brown, take care not to burn the onions. Add curry leaves.
3. Add the cooked mutton masala from the cooker and mix well. Keep roasting till the water evaporates, add the garam masala and pepper powder when it is almost done. Mix well and roast till it gets a dark brown colour.

Serve hot along with red/brown rice. My personal preference is to have it with rice and moru curry.

2 comments:

  1. very nice preparation of mutton...looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Tried this And came out well. Everyone in my family like it. Thank u so much for the delicious recipe. Expecting new mouthwatering dishes:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...