June 8, 2011

Masala Idli



What do you do with left over idlis ? Well, here is what I make...Masala Idlis. The first time I had this was around 6 years ago, in a restaurant in Indiranagar, Bangalore. Those days, I had no interest in cooking (it was before marriage :-) ). I decided to make it after a few more years. I made it my own way, adding different masalas, but none of them tasted like the restaurant one. Then, one day I tried it with MTR Chutney powder and it came out very well. My mother liked it so much, she asked me for the recipe. Well, this is the only recipe she asked me so far :-)

Hope you like it too..

Ingredients:

Idlis - 6
Onion -1 large, chopped finely
Tomato - 1
Finely chopped Ginger - 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped Garlic - 1/2 tsp
MTR chutney powder - 3-4 tbsp (you can use any good brand)
Curry leaves - a few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil
Salt

Preparation:

1. Cut idlis into small cubes and keep it aside.
2. Heat about 1-2 tbsp of oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
3. Add onions, ginger and garlic and saute till onions are light brown.
4. Add curry leaves, chutney powder and salt and mix well. Note that chutney powder includes salt, so just add a little.Add tomatoes and fry till they are soft.
5. Add the idli cubes and mix well. Keep frying till idlis are covered well with the masala.

Serve hot. Suitable for breakfast or evening tea.

Sending this to Quick and Easy Recipe Mela hosted by SpicyTasty


3 comments:

  1. edi nee ethokka undakkumo....you r simply great...i will definitely try u recipies..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gea, this is so easy to make. Try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sure tht chutney powder gives extra kick to the taste.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...