June 10, 2011

Dal Palak



This one is an Andhra style version of Dal Palak. The recipe was given by a friend of mine who is a native of Hyderabad. I love Andhra food for its spices. My spice tolerance is much better than an average person. I remember when I had hyderabad biriyani once, it was so spicy that my eyes started watering. But it was so yummy that I couldn't leave it, so I managed with the help of some raitha...

Back to our recipe...

Ingredients:

1. Toor dal or Moong dal - 3/4 cup
    Chopped Palak/Spinach  - 1 cup
    Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
    Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
    Garlic cloves - 3

2. Oil
    Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
    Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1 tsp
    Onion - 1, finely chopped
    Green chilly - 2
    Curry leaves - a sprig
    Ghee -1 tsp or more (optional)

Preparation:

1. Put all the ingredients listed under item 1 in a pressure cooker. Add a cup of water and cook for 2-3 whistles.
2. In a pan, add 1-2 tbsp of oil and splutter mustard and cumin seeds.
3. Add onions,green chillies and curry leaves and saute till onions are light brown. You may also add chopped tomatoes if you like.
4. Add the cooked dal palak from the cooker and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add a tsp of ghee to make it more delicious.

Serve hot.

Linking this to Life is Green Event 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...